Nesting and Too Much HGTV

We've lived in our house for about 9 months. The house was a pre-foreclosure and the first projects were the necessary ones like patching holes in the wall and painting the exterior (which I should probably post pictures of). Decorating projects were put on the back burner. For a long time I haven't felt like any of the rooms in our house were really "done." It has made it hard to really feel settled. Plus, I've never decorated a home before. I don't have a lot of confidence in my decorating skills. I second guess my choices. I want to find the right item at the right price. I watch HGTV and they do a room in a day or a week, but for me it takes months and a lot of window shopping for a room to take shape in my mind.

Maybe it is the nesting instinct but we have recently really gotten a move on and have finally finished a few projects. I finally feel like a few rooms are "done."

Baby Brother's Room
Before:
After:
The room was an interesting shade of purple/brown with a peach-y ceiling. The color we chose is a Benjamin Moore color called woodlawn blue. I was kind of opposed to doing a blue baby boy nursery, but we found this color when we were doing samples for our bathroom (pictures below) and it just seemed perfect. It is kind of a grey blue with a bit of green. I think it will transition well into an office or an older kid's bedroom or whatever this room ends up being used for, so I am happy with it.

I'm also very proud of how inexpensively we put this room together. Two items I have to brag about are the crib and changing table. A friend gave us this crib and then I found a matching changing table on craigslist.org for $15. They both needed to be refinished, which ended up costing us less than $20. So for less than $35 (and some luck and elbow grease) we got a matching crib/changing table set.

The turtle quilt on the wall was a gift from the mother of my friend who put on a baby shower for me. I've never met this woman and she made me a beautiful baby quilt. I was amazed. We are planning to get a glider/rocker for this corner, so I guess the room isn't 100% "done". Also, I might add a window valance or curtains or something. I haven't decided yet.

Downstairs Bathroom (or the "Powder Room")
Before:
In the process (choosing paint samples):
After:

I might add something on the wall over the toilet, like maybe a metal tea light holder?
In this bathroom we used a Benjamin Moore color called buxton blue, suggested by my fabulous sister-in-law.

Master Bedroom
Before:
After:
The biggest challenge in this room was the mattress. We actually had the new bed frame and the new comforter set months before the new mattress. We bought our old mattress for dirt cheap when we first got married. It was like sleeping on a rock and we both were sick of it. We shopped for months for just the right mattress at just the right price. We got close a few times to buying something but never could quite do it. Then this mattress came on sale at Costco. It was a mattress we had looked at before and had liked and the extra discount made it the perfect mattress for us. It has been so comfortable, especially in these last few months of pregnancy. And I love that our bedroom finally feels like a grown-up sanctuary (even when there are toys and books on the floor). We will probably replace the nightstands one day, and maybe I should add some accent pillows or something, but for now I am quite happy.

We have a few other projects that are still in the process.
The entryway:
The entryway is currently a kind of sad gray/lavender color. We are looking for just the right shade of yellow/beige. This one might take a while. But at least we now have a place to sit and take off your shoes when you walk in.

Kayla's Room:
The room started an unique shade of brown/orange with a sports wallpaper border along the top. This is the current state of the room. Just trying to find the right color.We also redid the closet. I wish we had a good before picture of this closet. It was the most dysfunctional closet set up I had seen. Finally we have some decent usable space in there. Plus, it is one of those customizable closet kits, so as Kayla grows (and her clothes get bigger) we can adjust the shelves around to whatever fits her clothes best.
I love that our house is finally starting to take shape. It has been a process but now that a few rooms have come together I'm really starting to enjoy it!

8 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! Your house is looking good, and I just love your master bedroom. I can't wait to see pictures of your little boy! :)

bill&loisearnshaw said...

Amanda - I think your decorating ability is great! I love your bedroom and baby broither's room. Great job! It all looks beautiful. Nice to have some things finished before the baby arrives. We are anxiously awaiting the announcement. I'm sure you are too. Love you all, Grandma

Lindsay said...

Isn't creating a home so rewarding? It is beautiful, Amanda. I must add, I have the same hand towel in our bathroom:) Hang in there during these final days! We'll be excited to hear the news! ~Cousin Lindsay

Allison said...

Looks great Amanda. You should come help me with my house!

tiraje said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! The rooms are all beautiful. I'm next in line after Allison to get help in my house. We are thinking about you and can't wait to hear about our new cousin!

Craig & Colleen Earnshaw said...

Wow! What a difference from before! You have really great taste too. I can't wait to see it- soon! Tell that boy to come!

Jessica said...

PLEASE come do my house! :)

Bryson and Tara said...

Way to go! Your home looks beautiful!