Just Call Me Martha Stewart

Lately, I really haven't enjoyed cooking. Probably you moms can relate, but 5 o'clock rolls around and I grumpily lumber over to the cupboard to see what I can throw together. I think it has something to do with being a mom and having to cook everyday. I use to really enjoy cooking. I think college was the first time I really had to cook for myself. I enjoyed leafing through my cookbooks finding delicious healthy dinners I would like to make.

So where has the enjoyment gone?

I realized that I've fallen into a bit of a rut lately. I have my handful of go-to dinners that I always have the supplies on hand and I can throw together in 30 minutes or less. But it's been a while since I tried anything new.

So I decided to push myself and try some recipes I've never tried before. And lately, I've actually been really excited when it comes time to start dinner! It's fun to mix new ingredients, maybe buy something at the grocery store I've never bought before. Like just this week I bought hoisin sauce. Hoisin sauce comes up a lot in Asian recipes, but I tend to skip over those ones because I don't want to buy this new thing. Well, now I have it and I don't have to skip over those recipes anymore. More new things to try.

One recent dinner that I am particularly proud of you can see below:
This is Lettuce Wraps with homemade Asian Dipping Sauce and it was awesome! I found this in the appetizer section of one of my cookbooks and thought it would cover the bases for a good meal.

Now understand that I don't take personal credit for these meals. I'm not one of those people who can open up my cupboard and whip up something amazing with whatever I happen to find. I need a recipe.

While I enjoy cooking, I've never been much of a baker. Not only have I tried new dinner recipes, but some new baking recipes as well. They asked a few ladies to bring a homemade pie to a church activity and I thought, well why not? So I signed up. I've never made a pie before. I've seen my mother make pies hundreds of times at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I've never done it myself. I made an apple pie and I am quite proud of how it turned out:
It wasn't perfect, but it was yummy. My biggest problem with it was that as the apples baked down the crust stayed up making a dome shape so that when you cut into it the top was hollow. Does that make sense? If any of you experienced pie makers have any tips to fix that, I would appreciate it.

Also, believe it or not, I've never made sugar cookies. I've frosted sugar cookies hundreds of times, but again my mom always made them and the frosting. So I made sugar cookies for the first time! I made an orange glaze frosting that I used on everything except the cats. For the cats I made a chocolate glaze frosting. It was yummy! Maybe next year Kayla will be big enough to help me frost them.

6 comments:

Craig & Colleen Earnshaw said...

I am so proud of you!! YOu are becoming a domestic goddess!! Hurrah!!!!!! MOm

Christine said...

It all looks so yummy! I used to be like that. I loved baking and trying new recipes. Now I just use the excuse that I'm too tired. I guess I should someday just go for it again and see what happens.

Bryson and Tara said...

Good for you, Amanda! Everytime I read your blog, I'm so impressed with you.

Teresa said...

Those are amazing cookies! Zach was really impressed also. Did you cut slits in the middle of the pie? The pie is supposed to look like a big dome of apples, and then you put the crust on top. Hope it helps?!? We loved the eyes on the cookies by the way!

Allison said...

Nice work! I would like to try some of those delectable looking items.

Hutchings Family said...

I never really liked to cook either that's why I married a great cook. steve.